Jun 23, 2022
776. ⚠️Some news about changes to LEP & LEP Premium (L)
Episode Notes & Information about some changes to LEP 👇
I am recording this because I have some news about LEP and LEP
Premium. The key details are written in bold
It’s good news, on balance. Nothing drastic. No huge changes,
but some changes nonetheless. I’ll spell it all out in this 'short'
Episodes of LEP have disappeared from podcast apps like Apple
Podcasts, Spotify, Google Play - sorry about this! I am changing
podcast host, and my podcast feed is being updated. This is causing
a few technical issues, but they are being fixed. All the podcast
episodes will be back as soon as possible!
- Lots of changes have been going on behind the scenes
- I moved flat and moved pod-room
- But also I have moved to a new podcast host - one which is
based in Europe and which just suits me much better
- Cool things are: You’ll be able to get LEP Premium much more
easily - in your podcast app of choice (details on the website -
- You can support the podcast a lot more easily, if you’d like to
be a stakeholder in LEP.
- This is all part of my attempt (over 13 years!) to become a
self-sufficient podcaster who can devote more time and energy to
this project, and make episodes better and more useful and
entertaining for you
- You will notice some ads in episodes, depending on
where you are. Not every time.
- Also you might hear me mentioning podcast sponsors at
the start of episodes sometimes.
- Previously I used to have sponsors, but the pandemic stopped
that, basically. I used to talk about italki, spoken, audible, but
those things stopped fully during the coronavirus pandemic.
- But I have to find ways to keep the podcast going and so the
new host I’m working with (Acast) gives the option to put some ads
in my episodes and they might also let me read some sponsorship
- This is the way podcasts are going, as the technology develops
and the medium becomes more established, little automatic adverts
and sponsorships are part and parcel of that. This is how an
industry develops around this sort of thing.
- Back when I started this in 2009 it just wasn’t possible
because the technology wasn’t there but these days it’s normal to
either have some advertising in the content or you have the option
to pay for a subscription with more content and no ads.
- Just like YouTube, you get some ads on that platform and it’s
just normal. Some people get YouTube premium to go ad-free and get
all the music and stuff.
- Or Spotify - if you use the free version to listen to your
music there are ads on that too, unless you pay for a
- So that’s what’s happening with LEP.
- It’s not going to make a huge difference to you, I have to say,
but I thought I would at least mention it, just so I can be
- So here’s how it’s going to work.
- You’ll get all the free episodes as normal, and the
whole episode archive will continue to be freely available as
- You’ll probably hear a few ads sometimes. They’ll be short -
certainly shorter than if I did them myself!
- If you want to remove those ads so you never hear them
while listening to LEP you’ll also be able to sign up for ad-free
episodes. That’ll cost about $2 per month. You’ll be supporting me
too if you do that.
- You’ll be able to access LEP Premium episodes more
easily than before, and it should be a system that you all should
have access to (unlike with my original system which seems or
seemed to block certain credit cards from different countries - the
Acast system should accept all of you) and you’ll be able to get
your premium content in your normal podcast app - not just through
the LEP App. And if you become a premium subscriber, that will also
remove all the ads. And you’ll be supporting me too.
So there you go, that’s all I wanted to say. There will be some
ads in my episodes, but you can go ad-free if you want, and you can
sign up to LEP Premium more conveniently too - and if you do either
of those things you will be supporting LEP.
You know, I want this to go on and on. Beyond 1000 episodes. To
infinity and beyond. But to do that I need to find ways to monetise
this show without it affecting you too much.
This way I can keep the archive free, but also reward people who
support me by giving them my premium content which I always work
hard to produce.
For LEP Premium subscribers - keep an eye on your LEP
subscription because I will be uploading an announcement about that
too, and also some new premium content is in the pipeline. I
mentioned before that I’d been sort of holding back on LEP premium
recently because I didn’t know what was happening. It’s much
clearer now and so I will be able to focus on the premium content
more directly again. StoryTime episodes are coming to LEP Premium.
Episode page https://wp.me/p4IuUx-qTq